This self esteem test by Dr Marilyn J. Sorensen is a very good tool to measure your level of self esteem, I personally feel that it is more comprehensive than the Rosenberg self esteem scale.
Dr Sorensen has been a clinical psychologist for over 32 years, specializing in the area of relationships and self esteem issues. She has several books that she has written, one of them being "Breaking the chain of low self esteem" where this test was initially published. She is also the founder of The Self Esteem Institute. You can visit her website at www.getselfesteem.com
The test consists of 50 statements and you simply put a tick or mark next to each one that you feel applies to you. It's really simple to do. It would be a good idea to print out this webpage (you can do that by clicking the print button on your web browser)
After discovering Dr Sorensen's self esteem test, I contacted her and she kindly gave me her permission to use the test on this website so a big thank you to her for that.
1. I am very critical of myself and others.
2. I have periods in which I feel devastated and/or depressed.
3. When someone mistreats me, I think I must have done something to deserve it.
4. I have difficulty knowing whom to trust and when to trust.
5. I often feel like I don't know the right thing to do or say.
6. I am very concerned about my appearance.
7. I am easily embarrassed.
8. I think others are very focused on and critical of what I say and do.
9. I fear making a mistake which others might see.
10. I often feel depressed about things I've said and done, or things I failed to say or do.
11. I have avoided making changes in my life because I was fearful of making a mistake or failing.
12. I often get defensive and strike back when I perceive I am being criticized.
13. I have not accomplished what I am capable of due to fear and avoidance.
14. I tend to let fear and anxiety control many of my decisions.
15. I tend to think negatively much of the time.
16. I have found it difficult to perform adequately or without embarrassment when involved in sex.
17. I'm one of the following: The person who reveals too much personal information about myself or who seldom reveals personal information.
18. I often get so anxious that I don't know what to say.
19. I often procrastinate.
20. I try to avoid conflict and confrontation.
21. I' ve been told I'm too sensitive.
22. I felt inferior or inadequate as a child.
23. I tend to think that I have higher standards than others.
24. I often feel like I don't know what is expected of me.
25. I often compare myself to others.
26. I frequently think negative thoughts about myself and others.
27. I often feel that others mistreat me or take advantage of me.
28. At night, I frequently review my day, analyzing what I said and did or what others said and did to me that day.
29. I often make decisions on the basis of what would please others rather than on what I want or without even considering what I want.
30. I often think others don't respect me.
31. I often refrain from sharing my opinions, my ideas, and my feelings in groups.
32. I sometimes lie when I feel that the truth would result in criticism or rejection.
33. I'm fearful that I will say or do something that will make me look stupid or incompetent.
If you ticked or marked:
00-04 Statements: ......................You have fairly good self esteem
05-10 Statements: ..................... You have mild low self esteem
11-18 Statements : .................... You have moderately low self esteem
19-50 Statements: ..................... You have severely low self esteem
If after taking Dr Sorensen's self esteem test you discover that you have low self esteem, Dr Joe Rubino's Ultimate Self Esteem Formula is a great resource to help you overcome low self esteem. Even if you scored well, Dr Rubino's program is still worth taking a look at
Subscribe to our mailing list and get our Free Self Esteem Workbook